Sunday, March 27, 2011

Counter-intuitive

Sunday, Chris and I went to a new Farmers Market just a stones throw away from our house.  It's there every Sunday.  It wasn't there before I went to Italy.  These markets are fun and can have some amazing food, snacks, vegetables, honey and 100 other assorted items.  I read an article in "bon appetit" about roasting root vegetables.  I got radishes, golden beets and Yukon gold potatoes and roasted them with a free range chicken.  Tossed in a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and enjoyed them ever so much.

Sunday Dinner
We also went for a late breakfast at the Village Cafe.  It's a local hangout that could easily be on Drive-ins, Diners and Dives.  It was packed as usual with about 12 people waiting outside for a table.  I went in and the counter was empty.  I could not believe my eyes.  Nobody wanted to sit at the counter.  Lucky for us.  I guess some folks don't want to see how their food is cooked.  Well, I do.  We conversed with the cooks and watched them do magic with eggs, fried potatoes and breakfast meats.  It's not rocket science, but great to watch.

If ever that opportunity presents itself to you, I recommend you seat yourself at the counter and enjoy the show.

1 comment:

Denise said...

“A restaurant is a fantasy-a kind of living fantasy in which diners are the most important members of the cast.”-Warner LeRoy

Nice to have the best seat in the "theater". Looking forward to joining you and Chris there when we return.