Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pork Belly and Jackson Brown

Chris and I purchased tickets to see Jackson Brown in an acoustic performance here in L.B.  We went to one of our favorite restaurants, Delius, before hand and I had Crispy Pork Belly.  Now if you never have tried this somewhat disgusting sounding dish, I can only say you are missing out on one of the truly wonderful tastes in all of culinary.  Asian in its influence, the tidbits of pork melt in your mouth.  Having just read "The Last Chinese Chef" while in Italy, Asian cooks seem to relish how fat plays on the tongue.  Next time out, give it a try.   I promise you won't be disappointed.  Delius does a great job of pairing it with scorched hot peppers, cucumbers and a honey glaze...Sweet, spicy and umami.  Three of the five taste senses all in one dish.  Mmmmmm!

Oh, Jackson Brown was good.  I have to admit, what was billed as an intimate evening with Jackson Brown became a yell fest with concert goers screaming out songs for him to sing and then yelling and whistling during the song to hear their own loud, shrilled voice in an otherwise quite setting.  Not what I had hoped for.

Guess I'm getting old.  I like to hear the music at concerts, not rude concert goers.

No comments: