Friday, May 6, 2016

Playing Possum!

Walking your guide dog in training is mandatory, according to GDA.  So we walk.  Usually I walk her about 1 to 2 miles. (or is it blocks) I get those confused.  Anyway today was an interesting time and we had a distraction for her.  After walking along busy boulevards and crossing streets with traffic lights, I was heading home when something caught my eye on the sidewalk ahead.  Now normally Dylan would spot anything before I do, but not this time.  The object was very still, but it was very much out of place.  I stopped about 50 yards from it and sat Dylan.  She was interested, but very much in control.  Walking up a bit closer, I saw that it was a possum.  A very large possum, right in the middle of the sidewalk.

Now it seemed a perfect chance to test our proofing while working with Dylan.  So I walked a bit closer and took a few pictures while Dylan was anxiously looking at this creature she had never seen before.  Not once did she break or bark or strain at the leash as I walked around it.  I had Chris call animal control but they would not come out.  I guess these are a common occurrence around Long Beach, but not during the day.  Possums are pretty much blind during daylight hours.  It was convulsing a bit and looked to be doing some pushups, but didn't move much when we walked on around it.  I know, it was, you know, playing itself.

An interesting place for a nap

Giving it some room.

The rest of our walk was pretty normal after that.  Then it was off to Costco and the market.  Just a somewhat normal day in raising our Dylan.



No comments: