Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Just a spoonful of sugar!

I'm sure everyone has followed a recipe in their life. Not hard to do. Cup of this, tsp of that, pinch of salt and voila, a great tasting meal.

So lets say you have a great recipe that makes two servings. Easy to follow and so very good, you then decide to invite 100 of your closest friends and want to make that same dish. NOW WHAT!

Learning how to convert recipes is the job of every culinary student. Does a tsp of salt for two suddenly become two cups of salt for a 100? Maybe, but probably not. For main ingredients there is a conversion equation you can use. For seasoning, good luck, cuz you're on your own. Our chef told us,"use your heart, not your head". Huh?
Now I'm confused. Nobody said this was going to be easy.

Somebody hand me a potato so I can Tourney the damn thing!


1 comment:

Erin said...

You = Funny!!! Who knew you were so witty!!?! =) Must have inherited it from me! xoxo