Thursday, February 24, 2011

And then there was Roma!

Wednesday was travel day.  We left our Spoleto hosts, Steve and Denise, and headed to Rome.  Unlike to Hannibal, Spoleto was a fine host of a city to us.  Ciao, grazie you guys.

I made it to the city in fine fashion and then the fun started.  Teem, in his usual calm voice, guided us to our B&B.  He said we had arrived, but there was no place to be found.  A small market, Tobacco Shop, bank and a few large doors.  While I double parked, Chris was able to locate the B&B behind one of the large doors.  Luggage dropped, I headed back to Park Borgesse to drop off the car.  Three circles around a construction area, I finally made it to Hertz.   The gas guy didn't fill my tank and I had to pay an additional 30 euros or go back out and fill up.  I paid.  Took the metro back to the B&B and then Chris and I headed out to return the TomTom to Paola's daughters place via the metro.  This was going too smoothly.  Got to her apt and the receptionist was gone until Saturday.  Crap!  Got inside the locked gate and followed a delivery guy into the complex.  Found her apt and dropped off our semi-trusted guide and left him hanging on her door.  Seemed a crule fate for Teem, but I was done driving.  Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trevi Fountain
By now it was late afternoon, so we headed off to the Trevi Fountain to cast our coins in over our heads, ensuring a return to Roma.  As long as I don't have to drive here, I'll gladly come back.  Walked a ways, found an old church that was rebuild in the 1600's and saw art work from 1546 from a guy named Ricci.  Hey, that's how my name is pronounced here. Walked a bit further to the Monument Victor Emmanuel at the Piazza Venezia.  The over the top monument to Italys first King celebrating the 50th anniversary of the country's unification in 1870.  The people of Rome hate this Alter of the Nation.   According to Rick Steves guide book, it's thought of as a wedding cake, dentures or the typewriter monument.  Check it out and see if you don't agree.

Victor Emmanuel Monument
Bought some bread, cheese, salami and wine that the old guy from the market opened for us and we had dinner in our room.  Thursday, Vatican City.  Friday, Roman ruins.

No comments: