Wednesday, August 5, 2015

August 6 - D Day is upon us!

A few days back, I wrote we had been chosen and accepted to raise a puppy for Guide Dogs of America.  Yes, tomorrow August 6 we pick up Dylan.  Now, I'm not going to sit here and compare our D Day to "that" D Day.  During the hours before June 6, 1944, Eisenhower wrote two letters, one taking responsibility for the failure of his mission.  The other indicating how the out come was the beginning of freeing Europe from the Nazi occupation.  So to be clear, this D Day is not like that.  I'm not writing any letters of failure.  I'm not writing any letters of historical significance what-so-ever!  What I am writing is that this is the calm before what is certain to be a Sh*t storm when it comes to our two retrievers, Maggie and Bailey.  They do not know what is about to hit them.  And for that, I am truly sorry.

Tomorrow we drive out to Sylmar and pick up our Dylan.  During the next few weeks, we will experience sleep deprivation, anxiety and wonder as to what the hell were we thinking.  Having puppy sat for the last 4 days, we already know our house will be pissed and crapped on.  (Like what happened while I was writing this blog just this minute.)  Our dogs will go from loving us to wondering why, oh why did you do this to us.

Dylan is arriving at a time when we both have time on our hands.  We both love animals, especially cute Lab puppy animals.  We're confident that we can and will do this!  But we also know that the bigger picture is to help a sightless person be able to move about with confidence because Dylan will be there to shepherd him or her to safety each and every time they step outside.  God help us that we don't fail in our mission.

Maybe I will write those two letters....

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Kudos to both of you! I know you're up to the task and I look forward to reading about your and Dylan's adventures.