Friday, August 14, 2015

Peanut...Peanut Butter!



One of your assignments from puppy kindergarten is to crate your puppy for about 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day.  Getting guide dogs used to crate time is important.  The eventual owner must be able to crate their dogs knowing they are safe and where to find them.  Dylan sleeps in the crate all night and you would think that it would be easy to get her to sit and relax for a few minutes during the day.  Well, it hasn't been easy.  She gets in the crate and barks non stop.  Now the dilemma; leave her in the crate and let her bark or have sympathy and take her out thus undoing what you are supposed to be doing by teaching her to welcome the crate as her friend and safe place.  Also, I never understood how a small puppy can make so much racket.  I'm outside in the front yard, separated by three walls of the house and its like I'm in the crate with her.

So I moved the crate into the front room while watching some TV.  By letting her see us, knowing that everything is all right, quiet time is here.  Yeah right, like that works.  Now I have the double annoyance of not hearing the TV and a barking puppy.  Just so you know, it isn't about watching TV.   It's trying to find the balance of a happy Dylan and a happy puppy raiser.  So far the balance is in the dogs favor.

Then I remember a tip Brian, our puppy leader,  told us while in kindergarten class.  Place just a smidgen of peanut butter inside a bleached puppy bone.  Magically, a peaceful puppy and a happy puppy raiser.  She even went to sleep.

Happy, Balanced Dylan
I'm so glad I can get the upper hand on a nine week old puppy.  I am not above bribery.







No comments: