Monday, September 27, 2010

Algebra with Sugar on Top

Today we start our Baking and Pastry class.  You would think that this would be a great class; eating chocolate, making cakes and pies and bread.  In reality, its sort of like Chemistry and Algebra with sugar on top.  So much converting of recipes and weighing and measuring.  It only took me two years to get through one year of Algebra in high school.  Should be interesting.

Again, tons of homework.  I just printed out our syllabus and it is jammed packed with fun stuff.  We have a new chef and moved to a new class room. No stove tops, all ovens.  I have seen the students coming out of baking.  Mostly you can tell what they had been making as they wear it on their uniforms.  Baking must be messy.  I shall find out!

French cooking term of the day:
Paitissier (pat tee see ay)>Pastry Chef

1 comment:

Erin said...

Well, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...it took me two years to do 1 year of algebra too! Oh...and since it only took me 4 times to pass Chemistry in college...looks like there will be no professional baking in my future!
However...I can't wait for what you bring home this time! =)
Love you!
Datre