Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First of many FIRSTS!

Today was our FIRST of many tests before we close out Foundations II. Our vocabulary test was actually easy. I was surprised that there were only 2 or 3 questions I didn't know right off. So, we'll see how it I did.

Then we got to practice what will be our four dishes over the next two days.
Beef Stew over soft Polenta, I made neither, and Veal Scalloppine alla Marsala with Sautéed Green Beans and Potato Roseti (hash browns). On Thursday we're doing Grilled Pork Chop with Sauce Chasseur, tourned potatoes with broccoli and Poached Salmon with Rice Pilaf, Sauteed turned zucchini with a Lemon Beurre Blanc sauce. We are also taking our final exam on Thursday.

I made the hash browns. Pounded and pan fried a chicken breast, as they wouldn't let us cook veal, and made the Marsala sauce for that and practiced that ever so troubling Lemon Beurre Blanc. Made the Sauce Chasseur since this was the FIRST time we ever made it. And, it's part of our final practical exam. I also attempted rice pilaf. Again I over cooked it. But, I worked on the times and I think I got it down. All these must be turned in within a 15 minute window. We have longer to cook it, but only 15 minutes to get it in on time. Chef Wang gave me some pointers on how to go about getting all this done on time.

Chef Wang is leaving us and going to Pasadena next week.

We were his FIRST class, I think he did well.


No comments: