Monday, August 2, 2010

Workin' the Frier



Today we worked on Le Cuisson, Frier (Fr). Or if you must, deep fat frying. We made Fish and Chips and, one of my favorite foods, Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura. It was our first attempt in using the deep fryer. Funny, there are probably 10 million teenagers out there that have done french fries at McDonalds or burger joints all over this country. I never have. Le cuisson is the same for both dishes. The difference is the fish is breaded using the classic egg wash technique and tempura is a batter. We made tartar sauce for the fish, mine was excellent, and the wonderful dipping sauce of Dashi, soy sauce and mirin. You put in grated ginger and daikon radish to dip your tempura food in. My batter had too much egg yoke and did not crisp up like it should. Chef Wang told me my frying was excellent. Need to work on my batter. So today was relatively easy and fun. Tomorrow, two completely different entree's and lots of prep work and tons of dishes. Veal Scaloppini Marsala with Tourned potatoes and green beans AND Grilled Pork Chops with Glazed Carrots and Soft Polenta.

Naturally, I'm on dish detail tomorrow.

Sunday was fun as Chris and I went to a fellow students home in Hermosa Beach, where I helped make risotto. For 8 people. It came out great. Nancy, our host, made a wonderful mushroom ragu that we added in. Good people and fun times. Even better was showing off that we know that risotto is a cooking technique and not a dish. Ooohh's and Ahhh's.

Some folks are easily impressed.

No comments: