Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Perspective

About five years ago I read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.  If you're a foodie, I dislike that expression, then you need to read it.  Since the TV here in my apt is not hooked up, and if it was Italian TV is good to watch for about 5 minutes, I read.  I purchased his latest non-fiction book, Medium Raw.  I have been asked if my Le Cordon Bleu externship to Italy is all I expected.  Are there any regrets?  My answers are no, yes and no.  How can that be, three answers to two questions?

How food is looked at now has changed.  Celebrity chefs, food reality TV, competitions, humiliation and joyus victories over fellow chefs.  Mostly rubbish, but it provides good ratings and it's fun to talk about.  But how food has changed is also reflective in how we eat. Either at a restaurant or at home.  This is something we all can agree on since the crash of 2008 and brilliantly pointed out by Mr. Bourdain in his book.

I was asked by a golfing friend the time difference from Long Beach to where I'm currently staying in Casperia.. I flippenly replied, about 500 years!  After re-examination of that statement, it's more true than I expected.  Agriturismos, or country kitchens here in Italy, their methods of simple cooking have not changed.  Hand pressed olive oil flavored with garlic and chili peppers to sautee vegetables has been going on for hundreds of years.  Fresh pasta, sauteed in butter, garlic and sage is the staple here, not nuevo.  That's what I didn't expect and I'm finding it wonderful.

So my advise to all you "foodies" out there is this.  Experience food you never would try before.  From Pho to spaghetti alla bottarga--pasta tossed quickly with olive oil, garlic and hot peppers with salt cured mullet eggs. 

I hope you will find and appreciate the new perspective

No comments: